News reports and analysis (Most recently published are listed first.)
- Violence Spreads in Thailand After Crackdown [New York Times, May 19, 2010]
- Thailand PM rejects protesters’ offer [BBC News, April 24, 2010]
- Is Thailand headed for civil war? [Global Post, April 24, 2010]
- Q+A: Thailand’s escalating colour-coded crisis [Reuters, April 23, 2010, 2010]
- Explainer: What are the protests in Thailand about? [CNN.com, April 23, 2010]
- Blasts Bring Fear of More Thai Violence [New York Times, April 23, 2010]
- Video: Thai protest hit by grenade attacks [Al Jazeera English, April 22, 2010]
- Thailand faces threat of yellow-shirt counter-protest [BBC, April 18, 2010]
- Thailand Tourism Devastated by Political Unrest [TIME, April 18, 2010]
- Bangkok’s main shopping boulevard declared unsafe [AP, April 18, 2010.]
- Thailand mulls a ‘half coup’ [Asia Times Online, April 17, 2010]
- Protest Leaders Elude Capture by Thai Commandos [NYT, April 16, 2010]
- Essay: Thailand’s Broken Democracy [TIME], April 16, 2010
- “Thai Violence Hits Occupancy In Bangkok Hotels” [Reuters/NYT, April 15, 2010]
- “Where Are Thailand’s Red Shirt Protests Headed?” [The Atlantic, April 14, 2010]
- “Inside Story: Thailand on Edge” [Al Jazeera English, April 13, 2010 ]
- Phatra Securities: Thailand Economics: Little room for resolution? [April 12, 2010]
- Economist: Red with Bloodshed [April 12, 2010]
- AFP: Thai FM slams international community over crisis [April 13, 2010]
- WSJ: Tensions Simmer in Bangkok [April 11, 2010]
- TIME: Parsing the Color Codes of Thailand
- Reuters Q+A: What is aim of Thailand’s “red shirts” movement?
- Reuters Q+A: What is Thaksin’s strategy in challenging Thai government?
- Bloomberg: Thai Rifts May Spur More Turmoil in ‘Land of Smiles’
- Reuters: SCENARIOS — Will Thailand’s political crisis deepen?
Blogs about Thailand and Thai politics
- New Mandala — “New perspectives on mainland Southeast Asia” from the Australian National University
- Bangkok Pundit — Thai political analysis from an anonymous blogger
- Andrew Marshall — British freelance journalist reporting for TIME and other publications.
- 2Bangkok.com — Web site about life in Thailand and Thai politics
- Thai general election, 2011
- 2005–2006 Thai political crisis
- 2008–2009 Thai political crisis
- List of political parties in Thailand
- April 2009 Thai political unrest
- 2010 Thai political protests
- Chart: Constitutions of Thailand (1932-2006), by balance of power between legislature and executive, by Patiwat Panurach. From the Wikipedia entry for Constitution of Thailand.
- Politics of Thailand
- Media of Thailand
Thailand Twitter lists
- My Thailand twitter list — a growing collection, compiled by me, of 100 individuals and media organizations that tweet news and commentary on Thailand.
My list of Bangkok journalists — a list of Thai and international journalists in Bangkok
Academic papers about Thai politics and society
- Understanding Thailand’s political crisis, by Duncan McCargo in e-IR.
- Contextualizing the Pattaya Summit Debacle, by Michael J. Montesano in Contemporary Southeast Asia: A Journal of International and Strategic Affairs.
Books about Thai politics and society
- Thailand Unhinged: Unraveling the Myth of Thai-Style Democracy , by Federico Ferrara.
- A History of Thailand, by Chris Baker and Pasuk Phongpaichit.
- Thaksin: The Business Of Politics In Thailand , by Pasuk Phongpaichit and Chris Baker.
- Guns, Girls, Gambling, Ganja: Thailand’s Illegal Economy and Public Policy, by Pasuk Phongpaichit
- Thailand: A Short History, by David K. Wyatt
- Tearing Apart the Land: Islam and Legitimacy in Southern Thailand, by Duncan McCargo
Local English-language media
This page last updated June 7, 2011
Image source: Newley Purnell